Saturday, April 17, 2010

Private student loans to move out of my parent's house?

Hi. I'm looking for information on private student loans. My main issue is that the loan will be strictly for living expenses, not tuition or books. My mother is willing to pay for my tuition and books but she is not willing to co-sign my loan and we can no longer live in the same house. I need a private loan to pay moving expenses (first, last and security, phone, electricity and internet deposits) plus future living expenses (food, gas, rent, etc). My credit is at least good, maybe excellent due to a previous student loan that was paid off (always on time). I am not currently employed since I am a half-time to full-time student (depending on the semester). So far I am clueless on loans even though I have read many bank loan website faqs. Any and all advice appreciated (except recommending your personal loans - no ty, I want a well known trusted bank). If you can foresee any difficulties for me, have any advice, etc, it will be much appreciated. I don't want to get screwed on interest

Private student loans to move out of my parent's house?
I would recommend that you first apply for a federal student loan. These loans do not require co-signer or credit checks, and have very low interest rates and very leniant repayment terms. A federal student loan is very limited though, and therefore will definitely not cover all the expenses you have described. This is where the private loan comes in.





You can pretty much apply for a private education loan through any major bank (Citibank, Wells Fargo, Bank of America), so you might want to first check with the bank that you currently bank with. Just complete the application, they will check your credit and let you know of any other required documents, then make you an offer of the amount and interest rate you are approved for. Then, they will need to request your school to certify the loan. This means that the school verifies that you are enrolled in the minimum number of units and that your awards do not exceed your schools estimated cost of attendance.





Other than banks, you can check with lending companies such as Sallie Mae, Nelnet, or The Education Resource Institute (TERI).
Reply:There are many student loans you can take out. The Signature Loan through salliemae.com is probably the most common. You can request an amount, and they will give you up to that amount, depending on how well you qualify. However, if you do have a cosigner, the interest is lower and you can get a lot more money. You just have to apply, get approved, and sign the promissory note. Then the loan company contacts the school for certification. Once the loan has been certified, it will go into your account. At that point, you just get a refund from the school, and you can use that money for whatever you want.





If you need the money fast, you should apply asap as it can take some time, depending on the school.


No comments:

Post a Comment