Monday, November 16, 2009

How many do I list on student's number of family members for FAFSA?

I have a younger brother 1 year apart who lives with me. The lease is under my fathers name and me and my brother are listed under, but my father doesn't stay here with us. How many people do I put as family members? It states: If you are not sure who is considered a family member, select the Household Size button and answer the questions on the worksheet that is displayed. But all it shows is: The student: 1, The student's spouse, based on the student's marital status: 0, The student's children, if the student will provide more than half of their support from July 1, 2006, through June 30, 2007 (which is 0), and Other people if they now live with the student, if the student will continue to provide more than half of their support, and the student will continue to provide more than half of their support from July 1, 2006, through June 30, 2007 (which is 0). I'm confused...do I add only myself or who else? Plzz hlp..Thanks in advance.

How many do I list on student's number of family members for FAFSA?
First off are you dependent or independed per the FAFSA. If you are dependent then you list the parent who completed the FAFSA with you and any children that parent supports which would probably be your brother. If you are independent the question would be if you support your brother or if it is more of a roommate situation. If you support your brother list him as a dependent and mark in section 3 that you have dependendance other than a child or spouse, as your father does not live with you I would not consider him in your household no matter what the lease says. If your brother and you are more like roommates suppporting each other than you would not have any dependance and you would only list yourself in your household.
Reply:Simply put--If you are claimed as a dependant on your father's tax return, then you put zero. If you claim yourself as a dependant on your own tax return, then you put yourself and any others that you claim. Answer the question for your father the same way. Whoever is on the reutrn, thats what you put...hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment